The Opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) finally files to challenge Presidential Election Results announced by the Chairperson of the Electoral Commission of Ghana (EC), Jean Mensah.
According to the NDC, the decision to challenge the Presidential Election Results was taken after extensive consultations with the National Executive Committee and Council of Elders of the party.
“The petition was filed pursuant to the party‘s audit of the 2020 Presidential results, and extensive consultations with the National Executive Committee and Council of Elders of the party,” the NDC stated in a release signed by its General Secretary, Johnson Asiedu Nketia and copied to the Capitalnewsonline.com.
The NDC has said on a number of both international and local platforms that the just ended election is flawed and has sent notice of their decision to contest the result at the Supreme Court of the land.
This, the party has acted on its words today, by filing for a hearing to commence at the Apex Court of the land.
Below is the full statement
PRESS STATEMENT For Immediate Release
30th December, 2020
The National Democratic Congress, wishes to inform the general public that at about 12PM this afternoon, the leader and Presidential Candidate of the party, H. E John Dramani Mahama, caused his lawyers to file a Petition in the Supreme Court of Ghana to challenge the 2020 Presidential Election Results Declaration by the Chairperson of the Electoral Commission of Ghana.
The Petition was filed pursuant to the party‘s audit of the 2020 Presidential results and extensive consultations with the National Executive Committee and Council of Elders of the party.
The Petition details serious violations of the 1992 Constitution by the Electoral Commission and its Chairperson and Returning Officer for the Presidential Election, Mrs. Jean Adukwei Mensa in the conduct of their constitutional and legal responsibilities.
It seeks among others, a declaration from the Supreme Court to the effect that, the purported declaration of the results of the 2020 Presidential Election on the 9th day of December 2020 is unconstitutional, null and void and of no effect whatsoever.
H.E John Dramani Mahama shall be addressing the nation at 8PM today on the petition filed and other related matters.
The under-listed personalities have been assigned as Spokespersons on the matter and may be contacted by the media after the Petitioner’s address to the nation and throughout the hearing of the matter:
1. Hon. Marietta Brew Appiah-Oppong Esq. – Former Attorney General and Minister for Justice.
2. Hon. Dr. Dominic Akuritinga Ayine Esq.- MP for Bolgatanga East and former Attorney General and Minister of Justice.
3. Dr. Abdul Baasit Aziz Bamba Esq. – Member of NDC Legal Team
4. Hon. Alex Segbefia Esq.- Director of International Relations, NDC
5. Abraham Amaliba Esq. – Director Legal, NDC
6. Sammy Gyamfi Esq.- National Communications Officer, NDC
7. Kakra Essamuah Esq.- NDC Communications Director
8. Joyce Bawa Mogtari Esq. – Special Aide and Spokesperson of HE John Dramani Mahama
9. Godwin Edudzi Tamakloe Esq. – Member of NDC legal team
Hon. Johnson Asiedu Nketia (General Secretary)
By: Isaac Dzidzoamenu/capitalnewsonline.com
Send Your Stories For Publication
- Do you have a story for us or need a promotion/advertisement? Submit them to CapitalNewsOnline via our
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or
- WhatsApp CHAT US NOW